Spotlight Sunday: Tahini
*Every Sunday I spotlight an ingredient I love, use all the time (or wish I did) and think you should too*
There are few things in this world that spark the joy in my heart that t'china does (in israel that's how they pronounce it: "tch ih neh". It's infinitely more sexy than our American TAHEENEE. *hands over eyes emoji*)
Here are some of the reasons why you should eat sesame seeds (the sole ingredient in good quality Tahini):
- Mucho fiber
- LOTS of vitamin B
- Major source of manganese, calcium, and magnesium (all SUPER important minerals that help us with things like making easy BMs (that's bowel movements, for short ;)), staying calm and relaxed, building healthy bones, etc etc
- Rich in anti-inflammatory properties
- Keeps your bones strong
- Helps facilitate digestion
- INCREASES HAPPINESS BECAUSE IT TASTES AMAZING
The combination of the bitter, the smooth, the nutty...I could bathe in it. But I won't. Here's what I will do:
- SPREAD it on toast with a drizzle of honey and sprinkle of salt
- WHISK it with water (enough to get to a light and fluffy consistency, about 2X as much as the amount of tahini you're using), lemon juice, a small amount of garlic and salt to taste to create a heavenly sauce
- ADD to smoothies
- DRIZZLE on roasted vegetables along with some aged balsamic
- SPOON onto ice cream, yoghurt, into your mouth
- BLEND with orange juice for a delicious salad dressing (or any thing dressing)
And that's just the beginning.
If you're trying to get your tahini on in a real way watch this great video from Inspired Taste on how to make your own at home (hint: it's SUPER F-ing easy) plus some awesome tahini-centered recipes:
If that seems a lil to intense for you, tahini is definitely at your local grocery store or whole foods, as it's currently a V hot ingredient.
Or you could do what I do and order in in bulk from amazon...
*I'll be posting my vegan tahini coconut ice cream with chocolate drizzle very soon*
In the mean time, tahini away with suggestions from above!
To your health!